– The other day I was putting dinner in the crock pot and it reminded me of a funny conversation via Facebook chat with my Grandma from about a year ago:
Me: How long does it take for chili to cook in the crock pot? I have no idea if it’s going to be ready in time!!
Her: Well, what time did you put it in there? Put it on high then switch it to low when it boils. It should take 6-8 hours total.
Me: How long does it take to boil? I’m stirring it every 1/2 or so. It’s not boiling yet!!!
Her: Stop opening the lid silly!! It will take longer if you keep doing that!!
Me: Oh …
I really miss her some days and it’s still really hard to believe she’s been gone for almost six months now. She made the best home cooked meals ever and I’m trying SO hard to follow in her footsteps. She’d be proud of how domestic I’ve become, lol. She always called me a “kitchen witch” when I told her of my culinary adventures :)
– My mom and I went to the hometown to visit my Grandpa last weekend. It was finally cool enough (i.e., NOT 40°C) to walk down to the produce stand, so I picked up some locally grown carrots, a cucumber, and a WATERMELON! The best place every to buy a watermelon from is Desert Hills Ranch. If you’re ever in that neck of the woods, stop there! They also have AMAZING tomatoes. There is no better tomato than an Ashcroft-grown tomato. It’s a fact! Back in the day there used to be a cannery.
– Last week Kyle went to Vancouver for some work stuff and it was his first flight EVER! I’m pretty proud of him :) Anyway, he had a huge wait between the end of his work stuff and his flight home, and so he went trekking down to the Robson Street lululemon store and bought me a new Scuba hoodie and a pair of Relaxed Fit pants. He even got the sizes right, which only added to the awesomeness of the surprise! I totally didn’t expect that at all, especially him going to lululemon. (Totally not his scene, lol) He definitely won husband of the year for that one!
– With the cooler weather rolling in, all I want to do is cover myself in warm and cozy layers. Unfortunately, that’s not easy to do when you’re breastfeeding. :( I have the urge to go out and buy a sweater dress, but I’d pretty much have to remove it to feed my little lovey. Oh well. One day I’ll be fashionable again, unless wearing spit-up and baby drool suddenly becomes fashionable.
– My brother is coming home tomorrow for a week!! I haven’t seen him since I went into labour and since I had Isla the day after he went back down to Vancouver, he hasn’t met his niece in person yet. I’m pretty excited to see him, not going to lie. I never thought I’d miss my little brother.
– Kyle and I have a pretty busy weekend ahead of ourselves. Tomorrow we’re having some friends over to watch the UFC fights, which should be fun! They’re actually expecting a baby in February, which is sooo exciting! Then on Sunday we’re suppose to go to a BBQ at Kyle’s carpoolmate’s house. THEEEEN on Monday we’re having dinner at my mom’s since my brother is in town. Whew!
What are your weekend plans?