1. How did your parents decide on your name?
It was the only thing they could agree on. Seriously. My dad wanted to name me Billie (I think I may have mentioned this before). Anyway, my mom veto’d that one, thank God.
2. Do your initials (First, Middle, Last) spell out anything fun/funny?
No, but once when I was in elementary school my teacher pointed out that if my middle name started with an “F”, I would be “KFC” like the restaurant chain. :P
3. Did you take your middle name from childhood or did you take your maiden name as your middle name? (If unmarried, what do you plan to do?)
I’m currently unmarried, but I plan on taking Kyle’s last name when the time comes. I’ve never heard of people axing their normal middle name in place of keeping their maiden name – or am I missing something there? I also don’t understand people who hyphenate their maiden and married names. It’s like their holding on to the past or something.
4. Are you or will you name your children thematically (ie. same first letter, all of same origin…)
Not at all. Kyle and his sister share the same first letter of their names and it’s annoying. Also – names that all rhyme bug me. Our kid’s names will be normal-ish.
5. Did you decide on baby names as a little girl? Did you stick to them or change your mind?
I don’t ever recall picking out names when I was little. I vaguely remember picking them out when I was in highschool, but I don’t remember what they are. Needless to say, we have different ones picked out now for when the time comes.
6. Does your family have any names that have been passed down through generations?
We don’t. Kyle’s family has some sort of non-tradition of giving the son the first name of his grandpa on the dad’s side as the middle name (Does that make sense? Kyle’s middle name is his dad’s father’s first name). I don’t really plan on following that tradition, and I think Kyle’s okay with that.
7. Do you look at the meaning of the name or just the name itself?
Usually just the name itself, but there’s some names that are obvious to their meaning, like Justin/Justine being “justice.” I’ll probably do a little research so my child doesn’t have to discover than his or her name means “a whale’s vagina” a la Ron Burgundy.
8. Do you name pets with human names (Sally, Henry) or with pet names (Fluffy, Mr. Bo Bo)?
Usually I name my dogs with human names. Cats are 50/50, and everything else usually has pet names.
9. Are there any names that you have an affinity or dislike for based on a childhood experience/someone you once knew?
There are definitely names we don’t like based on people we knew in high school who were unsavoury, but I won’t share them :)
10. What are some of your favourite names? Why?
They are “normal” names, but again, I’m not sharing. Mostly because I’m afraid someone going to steal the name. (I know a lot of pregnant ladies at the moment, holy moly! I think that getting married is starting to be “so last year,” lol)
One thought on “Ten on Tuesday”
Lol, you are definitely a Kara, not a Billie! :)