Image found here
Today is a holiday here in British Columbia, but I have to work (Silly Job #2). Anyway, I present to you some fact on B.C., taken from the Province of B.C.’s website.
- B.C.’s population was 4.405 million people as of December 2008.
- The top 10 languages spoken are now (according to the 2001 Census): English, Chinese (including Cantonese and Mandarin), Punjabi, German, French, Tagalog, Spanish, Italian, Korean, and Dutch.
- Each year, over 40,000 immigrants from around the world arrive in B.C.
- B.C.’s total land and freshwater area is 95 million hectares, larger than France and Germany combined. Only 30 countries are larger. British Columbia occupies about 10 per cent of Canada’s land surface.
- B.C. has nearly 1,000 provincial parks and protected areas, attracting about 20 million visits every year.
- Today, 14.27 per cent (or more than 13.5 million hectares) of British Columbia is protected – more than any other province in Canada.
- British Columbia is Canada’s third-largest generator of hydro electricity, providing some of the lowest power costs in North America. The province is also Canada’s second-largest natural gas producer, and the oil and gas industry continues to see tremendous growth, particularly in north-eastern B.C.
- British Columbia is the third-largest film and television production centre in North America – after New York and Los Angeles. (We call BC “Hollywood North!”) Some movies filmed in B.C.: The A Team, X-Men, Juno, Romeo Must Die, Shooter (filmed at Kyle’s friend’s ranch!)
- We also have a lot of famous people, such as Pamela Anderson, Michael J. Fox, Steve Nash, Seth Rogan and more!
Happy B.C. Day fellow B.Cers! Any trivia I missed?
2 thoughts on “Happy B.C. Day!”
When you Tweeted about this post, I first read it as Happy Birth Control Day! Ugh, apparently I’m tired this morning.
Haha! That’s funny! I think Birth Control was actually created by a Canadian, but I could be wrong.