WTW: Hours Before

Nothing is more surreal than waking up in the morning and knowing that by the end of the day you’re going to be a wife, you’ll have a husband and you have a whole new name.

I barely slept the night before the wedding. I think I may have got four hours total? Despite my lack of sleep, I didn’t feel too horrible. Perhaps it was my nerves, although I didn’t feel nervous overall. By 8:00 a.m., myself and my three bridesmaids were at the hair salon waiting our turns to have our herr-did.

Being such a loving bride, I headed to Tim Horton’s to get my girls well-deserved coffee and muffins. Still, no nerves. Even at the salon, one of the hair stylists commented on how ridiculously calm I appeared, trying to get my gears going. If anything, however, I was quiet. Perhaps trying to contain my anxiety and stress, knowing that everything I have planned, worked on and detailed out was all being laid on the line that afternoon.

My first moment of “Oh my god, this is actually happening” was when I finally sat down in the stylist’s chair at 11:00 a.m. My photographer was there, my girls’ all had there hair done, and the hot rollers were going in. The next moment was when I was done and my veil was stuck in my hair ever so delicately. But still, I did not let it show.

After we got back from the salon, it was time to eat lunch. My grandma, love her to death, had prepared a huge batch of my favourite mac’ n’ cheese, chicken wings, fruits and veggies. I didn’t realize how hungry I was until I devoured all my food and went back for seconds. Eating a carb-loaded meal really helped calm my nerves back down.

The girls started getting dressed after we ate and I put on a touch of make up. After they were dressed, we hung my wedding dress up for the photographer to take some shots and then it was time for me to put it on. *insert another surreal moment here*

My mom laced up the back and snugged it up. She started crying but I refrained. The girls and I gathered in the back yard for a few photos with the photographer.

The limousine arrived at 2:30, right on time. My step-dad loaded it up with our cooler of water, beer and coolers. We got in at 2:40 and make our paced journey down to the ceremony venue. We had her take the “scenic” route so we wouldn’t be too early. At 2:55 we arrived at the venue and I saw my dad standing outside waiting for us to arrive. That was the first time I showed any emotion and started to cry a little. This was it. It was really happening. After a few deep breaths, I emerged from the limo and we made our way into the entrance of the ceremony venue.

The music started, my girls started their walked, and there I was, just my dad and I, waiting. Still, no tears, but still, absolutely nervous. So nervous my whole body tingled. And when my “walking down the aisle” music started, I couldn’t help but smile.

Next week: The Ceremony

One thought on “WTW: Hours Before


Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.